Here’s sharing my one-pot chicken stew, as usual, using my favourite Esiway thermal pan to cook it in less than 2hrs.
Sweet Wine Chicken Stew Recipe (For 6 pax)
- 3 chicken thigh meat (i prefer de-boned)
- 1.5 tablespoon cooking oil
- stump of ginger, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, bruised
- Spring Onion (onion bulb chop off and set aside, spring onion leaves for use as garnishing)
- Radish (I used only 1/3 of a big fat radish this time as the balance went into Chicken Radish Soup)
- 2 carrots
- Chinese Dried Mushroom with stem removed (simmered in low heat until mushroom is soft)
- Water from simmered Chinese Dried Mushroom (from above, set aside)
- 1 cup Shaoxing Hua Tiao Wine (I used more than usual this time as it forms the base of my gravy and made it really sweet!)
- Corn flour (mixed with warm water, used as gravy thickener at last stage)
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce (lesser if want lighter colour)
- Five Spice Powder 五香粉
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- Chinese Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Corn Flour (as tenderizer)
- Chop up chicken thigh meat into big chunks and add in above marinate, for at least 2hrs. Keep it chilled & covered in the fridge.
- Cut radish and carrot into bite-sized chunks. Rinse and drain dry.
3. Heat up the cooking oil until hot. Stir-fry the ginger slices until fragrant. Add bruised garlic and bulb of spring onion. Fry until fragrant at low heat. This will take some time.
4. Use medium heat, add in the marinated chicken meat and stir-fry it until half cooked. Try to add the chicken “dry” from the marinate as too much marinate going into the pot at this stage will not result in nicely “fried” meat. Leave the marinate aside for later.
5. Add in all the other ingredients (radish, carrot, chinese dried mushroom) and stir it to mix well.
6. Pour in the remaining marinate, water from simmered chinese mushroom and Shaoxing Huatiao Wine. Sir and cover the lid tight and let it cook by itself on low heat.
7. Stir occasionally to mix the ingredients with gravy well. It takes about 1.5-2 hrs for my thermal pan (HappyCall should be the same) to finish this dish. You might like to use your slow cooker or claypot to cook this dish as well. Pls do gauge your own timing required.
8. Lastly, depending on how thick you like the gravy to be, add in a little corn flour water at a time until you get the consistency you prefer.
Serve with extra big bowl of rice and lots of gravy cos the kids loves it. Bon Apetit! 🙂 Given my schedule requiring me to shuttle daily with the kids, one-pot stew is quick and easy for me. It warms the stomach and simple (and non-expensive) food makes the man very happy too.
Hope you will enjoy trying out this recipe and if you have liked what you’ve read, please like our Facebook page at SAys! Happy Mums. Hope to see you back again soon! 🙂
– SAys! Shirley
GIVEAWAY HAPPENING NOW!
We are concurrently running 2 giveaways at our blog that will be ending soon. Do hop over and click the respective pictures to participate pls 🙂