I first tried this chicken dish at my SIL’s house. That was Christmas few months ago and I am constantly thinking about executing it myself! I finally couldn’t stand it anymore today and invited my parents and family to come share my chicken.
The chicken my SIL made was very deep flavoured with lots of citrusy sweet gravy that is also light and appetising at the same time. It is like east-meet-west with chinese seasoning and western style of cooking. Everybody was literally slurping up the gravy especially me who loves to drench my rice. This dish alone is enough to make a happy meal without having to cook other dishes. I roasted the chicken in the late morning before leaving house and just turn on the oven again in the evening 6 hrs later.
And this dish is too-simple to prepare given that I am a noob in the kitchen. All it took was less than 30 min of preparation time and I will just wait 1+hr for the oven to do its job. I must really learn to make full use of the oven in order to free up my time now. ^.^
Caramelized Roast Apple Chicken
- Whole chicken
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 cloves of Garlic (to reduce acidity)
- 2 Big Onions
- 2 Capsicums (different colour)
- 1 Carrot
- 3 Apples
- 1 – 1.5 Whole Lemon
- 1.5 cups Chicken / Veggie Stock (I happen to have some chicken corn soup from the night before)
- Fresh Thyme (I forgot to buy it so I used Dried Rosemary)
- Garlic Confit (see recipe here)
- Garlic Salt
- Small tsp Premium Dark Soy Sauce (just for colour)
- 2 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Preheat the oven.
- Cut off chicken head, intestines & backside. Wash the chicken and the insides using salt water to remove “chicken smell”. Dry chicken on a colander.
- Rub the marinate (whole list above) all over the chicken, including the insides. The oyster sauce and dark soy sauce gives flavour and colour to the chicken meat.
- Slice the lemon and remove the seeds. Smash & flatten the garlic. Cut all other ingredients into uneven cubes.
- Stuff the mixed ingredients into the chicken body, with the excess layered on the baking tray.
- Add in chicken or veggie stock over the vegetable & fruit ingredients.
- Position the chicken over the other ingredients. Wrap alumnimium foil over the baking tray and cut a cross slit on the foil to expose the chicken skin while roasting.
- Roast at 180 deg C under convection fan mode for 75-90 minutes, depending on the size of chicken.
*Halfway while baking, i took out the chicken and scooped some gravy to pour all over the chicken and also its insides. I also stir the veggies around the baking tray a little so that they can absorb the gravy and cook well. Rewrap with alumnimium foil and continue baking until cooked.
This recipe is a keeper despite the little burn on my finger which has now become another badge of a kitchen warrior in the making.
In the meantime, our current giveaway to I Theatre’s Aesop’s Fables happening this 26 February to 21 March 2015 at the Jubilee Hall, Raffles Hotel is ENDING AT 5PM TODAY. There is just less than 5hrs now to win one of 4 pairs of tickets to the show. So quick hurry & take part now! Winners will be announced tomorrow.
Do click the above picture for contest details.
If you have liked what you’ve read, pls like our Facebook page at SAys! Happy Mums. Hope to see you back again soon! 🙂
– SAys! Shirley