Mum seemed to have heard my silent reminiscences about her authentic charcoal-cooked claypot chicken rice when I was still a kid. Or maybe she herself had a craving for it too. Since we are all too busy to go have it at our favorite stall at Holland V hawker centre (ex-Clementi 328), mum made her simple and fuss-free version for us few days ago. It’s so good that I have to cautiously remember the recipe she verbally taught me. As usual, the amount of every ingredient from the mums of our times is always A BIT OF THIS & A BIT OF THAT. They marinate and cook by inspiration & good judgement, not by ml, teaspoon, tablespoon. So I have to experiment it on my own before I can write this down.
Rice-cooker Claypot Chicken Rice (serves 8 Adults)
- L-shaped Chicken Thigh x 4
- Dried Chinese sausages (lup-cheong)
- Da Tou Cai (大头菜) (choose the yellowish and softer kind, not dark green hard type)
- Salted Fish slices
- Dried Chinese Mushroom
- Unwashed white rice x 4 cups
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing Huatiao Wine
- Some Chinese White Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch (Added last)
- Shallot Oil
- Dark Soya Sauce (get good grade)
- De-skin and de-bone (if preferred) the chicken thigh and cut them into chunks.
- Marinate the chicken with the seasoning above (except the corn starch) keeping the meat chilled for 4 hrs at least. Note that the corn starch is to be added last and mixed well just before putting the chicken into the rice cooker for cooking.
- Boil some water then add the dried chinese mushroom to pre-cook it. When the mushroom has softened and cooled down, slice into strips and continue soaking them in the same water for adding into rice later.
- Wash the dried chinese sausages. Steam it for 10min until skin loosens. De-skin the sausages and throw the skin and water away. Slice the sausage diagonally and thinly. Set aside.
- Boil some water for scalding the 大头菜. Cut into strips. Set aside.
- On a dry skillet, mash the salted fish into smaller sizes and roast them until the fragrance is released.
- Wash the white rice and add the same amount of water as you usually would. Set it to cook in the rice cooker. At the last 12-15 min before the rice is fully dried up, add in everything (marinated chicken, chinese sausages, dried mushrooms, 大头菜，salted fish). Remember to add the corn starch powder to the chicken before putting into rice cooker.
- When the rice is finally cooked, set the menu to Quick Cook setting to cook it one more round for a drier rice.
- When ready to serve, remove the layer of cooked ingredients from the rice cooker into a separate dish. Add shallot oil and dark soya sauce into the rice and mix it well. Serve hot with shallots as garnishing.
Enjoy your very own home-cooked rice-cooker claypot chicken rice at home. It goes great with the cool weather right now!
In the meantime, we are concurrently running another brand new giveaway.
GIVEAWAY (Creepy Mathematics #2) running from 18 Jan to 28 Jan 2015
Brand new giveaway on Facebook!! Do click the above pic for contest details. 3 more sets to be given away in this round of giveaway. All the best!!
If you have liked what you’ve read, pls like our Facebook page at SAys! Happy Mums. Hope to see you back again soon! 🙂
– SAys! Shirley