K has recently fallen in love with the lagsana. Ever since she tried it at Swensons, she kept asking me to try making for her (we can’t always be going for restaurant food, right?).
And so after weeks of pestering, I finally found the time to make it at home.
Lagsana : Grounded Beef with Swiss Brown Mushrooms (Serves 2A2C)
- Grounded Beef 300g
- 1 big Onion, diced
- 1 clove of Garlic, finely chopped.
- 5 nos Swiss Brown Mushroom, sliced or loosely chopped.
- Pasta Sauce (I normally buy Prego Mushroom Tomato Pasta Sauce)
- Oven-ready Lagsana Sheets
- 250g grated Mozarella cheese
- 2 tbsp Light Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp White Wine (I normally use DOM since I have many bottles at home)
- Dash of Garlic Salt
- Dash of Lemon Pepper
- Fresh chopped garlic (or Garlic Confit)
- Marinate the grounded beef the night before and keep chilled until ready for use.
- Heat up oil in a wok. Lightly fry the garlic in hot oil until golden brown.
- Add in the diced onion and fry until the onion caramelized.
4. In a separate pan, repeat Step 2. Add in the swiss brown mushroom. Sweat it and stir-fry until it’s dry.
5. Combine the cooked mushroom into Step 4. Pour in pasta sauce and bring it to a slow boil. Taste check. Add more DOM if too soury. Boil off the alcohol since kids is consuming. If not, you/your kid will look like my little R when he was in toddler time >.<
6. Lightly grease the base of a shallow dish. Add in a layer of cooked pasta sauce from Step 5 above. Followed by a layer of lagsana sheet over it. Then sprinkle a layer of grated mozarella cheese over the lagsana sheet. Repeat the process and end the top layer with as much cheese as you like!
7. Preheat the oven at 180 deg C. Put the dish to oven and watch it when around 20 min. The lagsana is ready to be eaten when the cheese is browned.
And if truth be told, the real thing that happened after I put the dish into oven (pic above), was that I went to happily catch up with yakking over the multiple WhatsApp chat groups. The culprits who made me forgot my oven were – JC Classmates, Audrey & Pat, and Mavis, Wendy & Joanne. Somehow that morning, my Mad Friends group were very quiet…..
The top layer of cheese together with the lagsana sheets beneath it almost burnt after 40 min in the oven. I forgot to put the dish over the oven tray and my oven became dirty with spilled sauces *cry*
Out of panic because it was almost time for me to leave house to pick up little R from school, i quickly removed the almost-burnt layer, ready to throw them away and leave everything as it is until dinner time when we are home again.
And then I realize the cheese layer was not that burnt. And greedy me got the better of me. I sliced it up and tried it. It was HEAVENLY!!! The cheese layer was crusty, with a little smokey flavour to it, but not totally burnt yet.
My lunch-time snack while walking to the MRT – cheese “biscuit”. I probably had “invented” a new snack!
And I kept 2 pieces for hubby to eat at night too.
Later in the evening when the family went home for dinner, I quickly added new layer of lagsana sheets and topped with cheese. Let it bake for another 12min while the kids bathed. K was happy that I finally delivered my promise in making lagsana for her. She didn’t know that she ate a whole lot of onion and garlic too!!
Everybody at home was a happy diner this week. I’m very glad that Week 1 of school term in 2015 started off well and the family manage to eat and sleep well.
If you have liked what you’ve read, pls like our Facebook page at SAys! Happy Mums. Hope to see you back again soon! 🙂
– SAys! Shirley